Monday, May 24, 2010

My Struggle....

 For as long as I can remember I have always been extremely self conscious about my weight and appearance. Starting when I went to BYU I quickly gained the "freshmen 15" and it kept going. Before I knew it I was at a weight I was horrified of seeing when I went on the scale. Once I got pregnant with Abby I figured "well now I have an excuse for being overweight" and never really thought much about it. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes which also meant that if I did not lose some weight that my chances of getting diabetes later in life were now 50 50. After Abby I decided I wanted to lose weight. I tried doing work out videos at home, talking her on long walks every day, watching what I ate...the norm to try to lose weight. Once I got onto a good routine of working out at home soon after I found out I was pregnant again. We were so excited but I was nervous about gaining weight again. I kept working out though because I was in a good routine and I know that it is good for the pregnancy. Then a week and a half later I lost that pregnancy. I was devastated and it through me for a loop. A few months later we found out that we were expecting again and I was terrified of losing that one too that I stopped working out, for fear of miscarrying again. My weight during the pregnancy went up but not too terrible. Once Chase came, the pregnancy weight came off within two weeks. But my pre pregnancy weight was not a weight I was ok with. So in November I decided to get a gym membership. I began working out at nights so that Phillip could be home with the kids. I would go about 3-4 times a week. Then I found that a friend in my ward was a major gym guru and went all the time. Once Chase was old enough, I switched to going in the mornings. We would go 5-6 times a week for 2 hours. We would do an hour class then work out for an hour on our own. I also starting counting calories with an app on my iphone and finally started to lose weight. I made small goals and I have one overall big goal. After 5 months of working out constantly, I finally lost 20 pounds. I hit a major plateau for almost 2 months and was getting extremely frustrated that I was working out so much, watching what I ate and wasn't losing a dang pound anymore. After much deliberation, research and talking to as many people as I could, I decided I was desperate enough to try the HCG diet. What did I have to lose besides weight right? At least hopefully. Anyway, we went down to California at the end of April and of course with going out to eat with our parents and such put back 4 stinking pounds. We got home on a Saturday and I started the HCG diet on Sunday. So today is my 23rd day on the diet, the last day of taking the HCG drops. I am finally happy to say, in 3 weeks I have lost 16 pounds, bringing my total weight lose this far to 32 pounds. I will admit it is very refreshing to have people notice that I am losing weight and I feel much better about myself. It is overwhelming to think that I still have 25 pounds that I would still ideally like to lose, but I am happy I have finally gotten this far. As I was searching through pictures to find my "biggest" picture to post, I noticed that over the years I have been so ashamed of how I looked that I really don't have many pictures of myself. I hope that from now I can be a bit more confident and be in more pictures. Haha. Now starting Friday I will be completely done with the very low calorie part of the diet and will start my 3 weeks of now starches, sugars or carbs. I can't tell you how excited I am to eat more food. haha and starting Friday I will begin my training for our half marathon in Park City in August. My hopes are that with this training and with my continuation of eating a very low carb diet that I will be able to lose more weight. I was going to wait till I had lost all the weight I wanted before I posted, but I guess I was just too excited about being done with this diet and I was also bored tonight that I decided to post. This was then........
Keep in mind this was taken only 5 weeks after Chase was born...haha


Then....embarrassing but a size 17....Now.....size 10-11


24 comments:

Jaime said...

Go Vanessa!!!! You're awesome!!! It feels so good to feel good!!! ( I can't believe you stuck to that diet, cause I wouldn't have lasted a day, you wonderwoman you!)

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

dang v, you look so goooood!!!! YOu seriously look like you did when we were in high school! Amazing! I could never muster up such will-power!

Vanessa and Phillip said...

Thanks guys! I REALLY REALLY appreciate that. It has been a very hard struggle and I still have more I'd like to lose but I at least feel better now. :)

Unknown said...

You look really good! Keep up the good work. It's so important to feel good about yourself.

Jessica said...

great post V, that is so great, good luck with the marathon!

Cedric Anderson said...

Holy Crap! That is Awesome. I just got back from the sports store with new workout shoes and shorts and knee brace. I was already excited to lose more baby weight after my spending spree tonight, but now I am completely inspired. Seriously, thanks for the post. Your looking sexy girl!
~Sarah

Josh and Tiff said...

wow wow wow! holy crap girl! you look sooooo good! that is so amazing, I'm so proud of you! That's a fear of mine is not being able to lose pregnancy weight, so you're not alone there. But really, it's incredible what you're able to do and you already have 2 kids keeping you busy. You should be so proud of yourself! Buy a new outfit to reward your hardwork :) also... let me know when you're in Utah! I'd love to see you!

Natalie said...

You look GREAT!!! My father in law is doing the HCG diet thing too and it drives him crazy at times! Good for you for setting the goal of the half marathon. Now get me motivated to join you, lol! I would LOVE to start working out but have been so lazy...I need some motivation!

Niels and Susie Jensen said...

Vanessa, Thank you for sharing your story. I am so happy for you. Keep up the good work!

Jackson 3 said...

I TOLD YOU YOU'VE LOST LOTS!!! You look SO GOOD! it's amazing. GOOD WORK! cause I know it hasn't been easy! SO, when's your shopping spree?

Kath said...

I am so impressed. I know it's been hard for you and it takes so much work and will power to do that. you are amazing, and you look fantastic!

MIMI n' LINCOLN RULE!! said...

you look great! keep up the good work!

Trent & Lindz said...

That is so awesome Vanessa! You rock!!! You're seriously an inspiration :)You look so great!

Rebecca said...

Wow Vanessa! you look AMAZING! congrats! i am so glad all that hard work paid off :)

Rebecca and Nick said...

wow, girl, you look HOT!!!

Hilary said...

Wow! Great job Vanessa! You look great!

Ronda said...

great job Vanessa - you look AWESOME!

Missy said...

So, im a gym guru huh?
I'm so proud of you!! You look fab-u-lous!!

Unknown said...

You are amazing!! I have a friend who has been talking to me about this diet... and I have been skeptical, but apparently it works! You look awesome! Good job! When you get a chance I want to hear everything about this diet so I can decide if I want to do it or not!

The Greathouse Family said...

Vanessa! I loved your post! You are so inspiring! To hear that you have been working out for 2 hours at a time in the gym is amazing! You have inspired me to work harder. You have always looked beautiful, and now you are glowing in those pictures! You look gorgeous! I am so happy for you. I know how much hard work you put in to see those results! You totally earned every pound! So awesome!

Colette said...

YOU GO GIRL!!! You look absolutely AMAZING!!! Good job!! You've inspired me to stick with it and lose the weight I gained while Shaun was gone! Thanks hon!!

Katie said...

Fabulous!

melissa said...

ahh! you look so great!!!!!! i am so so proud of you! love you!

Nicole said...

You look awesome!!!!